Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve heard a lot of similar questions, asked by our customers over all those years… While it would prove difficult to list all of them here, we’ve thrown in the most popular ones.
How do I care for Gerberas?
Gerberas are best transported in water. Should this not be possible, before Gerberas are returned to water the stems must be cut (about 1.5 to 2 cm). The reason for this is that the stem forms an air lock when taken out of water, which does not allow the flower to draw up water again. By cutting the stem you cut off the air lock.
Some form of post-harvest treatment must be put in the water to prevent the growth of bacteria. We suggest a chlorine based treatment at the very least, otherwise the best product on the market, as per a UNISA study, is Floralife 100. Under no circumstances may any alcohol or spirit based product be added, as this will burn the flower.
The water needs to be changed regularly.
Gerberas must be kept in an ambient temperature, i.e. not in a cold room where it is too cold, nor in the sun or a very hot room.
Gerberas are often the first flower to die when put into arrangements in floral foam. The reason for this is that the floral foam blocks the stem veins from drawing up water. Therefore, it is recommended that flower arrangements for events should not be created too far in advance (the time allowed depends on the season – in the summer heat the life span will be shorter).
What is the minimum order?
Stems are packed in quantities of 10 for standard Gerberas and quantities of 15 for mini Gerberas.
What is the size of the Gerbera flower heads?
Standard Gerbera heads are approximately 8-10 cm wide (sometimes even bigger depending on the variety and season).
Mini Gerbera heads are approximately 5-8cm wide.
How does the order process work?
- Add flowers to your basket.
- Please note that wholesale discounts will only be shown when you go to the basket or checkout page.
- Click on the cart icon at the top right of the page and select Checkout, or if you want to adjust the quantity of flowers, you can click on basket first.
- Complete your billing details, include any order notes and your date of collection.
- Once you are happy with the order details, click on the Place Order button.
- You will be directed to PayFast where you can pay securely by credit card.
- After successful payment you will be redirected back to the website, and an order confirmation will be sent to you.
- We will contact you to confirm the order and collection date.